relationship references

Adam Snyder

23 Jun, 2016 01:44 PM

I have taken over a really large database with a ton of un-needed relationships in the graph. I would like to see all references to a relationships so I can delete the unused ones, but the inspector pro relationship screen under schema only shows dependencies. I really need to see where the relationships are referenced!! Why doesn't inspector pro show this info?

I created an html ddr to do finds in a web browser, but the html is so long that chrome just chokes and cant even scroll the page.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Vince Menanno on 23 Jun, 2016 02:55 PM

Adam,

Relationships in FileMaker 7 and beyond are different then what they were before.

In 7 - 15 they can be pass through. Meaning that you might be using a relationship and you don’t even know it… meaning that you could be on a layout where you are pulling a value from a related field in a Table Occurrence (TO) that is 4 or 5 hops away… so along they way you are referencing those TOs and thus referencing that relationship.

In the case of a field on a layout we could even determine which relationships are being used… but it would be almost impossible to do it system-wide because you could have a script that could go to a layout via indirection and then reference fields from different TOs.

So instead of thinking what relationships can I get rid of … you should be probably asking yourself what Tables can I be getting rid of. If the table only has references to a relationship then you could probably remove that table and by removing that table you have implicitly removed the relationship.

Note that if you use SQL you might be referring to a table and not know it unless you write SAFE SQL.

Let me know if that answers your questions.

Vince

2. 2 Posted by Adam Snyder on 23 Jun, 2016 03:44 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I see how it can be difficult to determine what TOs are actually needed.

The problem with this database is that there was a person that worked on it after the guy that created it, and before I started working on it, and he had no idea what he was doing. There are many relationships and fields defined that seem completely illogical and have no references that I can find. He was obviously trying lots of things, failing, then not cleaning up the mess after. He didn’t last long at the company, but he was there long enough to mess things up.

From my understanding, and correct me if I’m wrong, when a user goes to a layout in filemaker, the entire TOG connected to that layout needs to be downloaded to the client. I don’t know the full technical details though. Our server is in Seattle and we have people connecting to it from New York, Dublin and London. We are having serious performance issues. Latency is a problem, but I’m also trying to remove all the unused calculations and relationships to lighten the database up. Do you know of any good resources for tips on optimizing filemaker performance?

3. 3 Posted by tonya_m on 29 Jul, 2016 09:34 PM

Adam,

Did your question get answered?

Tonya

4. tonya_m closed this discussion on 15 Nov, 2016 08:23 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

08 Dec, 2019 05:57 PM
05 Dec, 2019 04:23 PM
20 Nov, 2019 06:16 PM